In my country, it happens quite often that a citizen needs a service from a government agency, but there's no exact form for the service that the citizen wants. In such case, in Serbia, we'd write a letter type which we call молба. The direct translation would be "request". It usually looks something like this:

I kindly request that the Agency for Y issues me а certificate of YY. I need the YY certificate due to J, K and L reasons. Attached are the proofs of my YY-ness. Best regards, Andreja

I've been trying to find a name for such a letter type in English, but I can't seem to figure out how it could be called.

  • The term in your native tongue is very generic if it can be translated as "request", but your question assumes it is a specific term, and so your question is not making much sense to me. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Feb 16 '17 at 21:13
  • @TRomano Well, the issue is that I'm not aware of any better term in English that I might use. It is a very specific term. Perhaps a better translation would be "kind request"? It implies that the letter writer is not in a higher position than the letter recipient, however the writer is also not in a desperate situation. – AndrejaKo Feb 16 '17 at 21:23
  • Your sample letter is also very generic. Is it a "certificate request"? What kind of certificate? Birth certificate? Certificate of occupancy? Death certificate? – Tᴚoɯɐuo Feb 16 '17 at 21:25
  • I'd call it an application. – Lucian Sava Feb 16 '17 at 21:33
  • @TRomano Actually, we use the same terminology for any type of certificate, so it's not clear to me what the difference would be. The "template" I posted is from a letter I used to get the "Harmonized Amateur Radio Examination Certificate", if it matters, but I'm looking for a name which is not specific to the type of document requested, if that's possible. The important point is that I either need a document or a specific service. – AndrejaKo Feb 16 '17 at 21:37

As far as I'm aware, as a native citizen of the USA, there is no term for this.

Generally, if we need something from a government agency, there's a form we fill out and submit (likely with some required documentation). That's it. We don't necessarily need to write a letter to go along with it and, if we do, that letter doesn't have a specific name.

For example, when I recently needed a copy of my son's birth certificate, I found the form on the city's website, filled it out, and then had my husband turn it in at their office in person. I could have submitted it digitally or by mail but that would have taken longer (and cost more). If I'd mailed it, I wouldn't have enclosed a letter. The website linked above details the necessary enclosures:

  • Effective immediately, all mail-in requests require notarized proof of identification.
  • A completed application (download and print one in English or Spanish)
  • A check or money order payable to the Office of Vital Records ($23 for each copy of a birth certificate; $21 for each death certificate plus $4 for each additional copy)
  • A copy of your current government-issued photo identification A copy of proof of residence, such as utility bill, voter registration, etc., if different than the address on your photo ID
  • A copy of a current government-issued identification of the person who signs the check (if different from the requestor)
  • A stamped self-addressed envelope (use an express mail envelope for express mail delivery).

None of the things listed above include any sort of letter, though the entire submission is referred to as a "request".

So, if you're filling out a form, that's called an "application" and if there's not a form, you're just sending a "request". There's no specific word.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.