Grin is to smile from ear to ear (widely). Please let me know the word which is used to define a little grin?

If this is Grin, enter image description here

then what do we call this?

enter image description here

  • From the pictures, I think you are looking for smirk or simper
    – user178049
    Feb 23, 2017 at 6:04

2 Answers 2


Actually, you've answered your own question. It is perfectly acceptable to use the term "little grin" to describe a little grin. The word "smirk," while often a smaller smile, implies conceit or smugness. It may or may not be the word you are looking for.


Not wide grins may also be described as faint, feeble, slight, shy, lazy, rueful (like the grin in photo 2; it also might be called "a knowing grin").

The broad grin in photo one I'd call a smug or complacent grin.

  • Perhaps there is a typo in your answer. Feb 23, 2017 at 7:24
  • @AhmbroDude - Where? I can't spot it.
    – Victor B.
    Feb 23, 2017 at 7:32
  • @rompay - It should be "note" instead of "not". Am I right? Feb 23, 2017 at 7:40
  • I meant "not wide" as a near synonym for "small/not large"
    – Victor B.
    Feb 23, 2017 at 7:42
  • Feel free to edit if it helps you with your question;)
    – Victor B.
    Feb 23, 2017 at 8:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .