Do we use all demonstratives (this, that, these, those) with

  1. uncountable nouns? (information, advice etc.)
  2. nouns which have just plural form? (trousers, eyeglasses, etc.)
  3. nouns which have just singular form? (I forgot.)

Can you write me some examples and some internet sources?

Thanks for help.

  • Singulars "this" and "that" with singular-only non-count nouns (e.g. this/that information/harm/furniture/crockery/nonsense), Plurals "these and those" with plural-only non-count nouns (e.g. these/those scissors/trousers/clothes/cattle/police)
    – BillJ
    Feb 23, 2017 at 15:28

1 Answer 1

  1. Uncountable nouns

Uncountable nouns are referred to as though they were singular, so you can say this information or that information but not these information or those information, because these and those are only for plural things.

  1. plurale tantum

Because these are always plural, you have to refer to them with the plural forms, these and those: these trousers or those trousers, not this trousers or that trousers.

  1. Singular-only nouns

There are very few words in English that are really singular-only. Most of the ones that look singular-only either have the same form in both singular and plural, or they function more like mass nouns. The best example I can think of right now is news, which Merriam-Webster calls "plural in form but singular in construction". It's almost always used as a singular: this news or that news.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .