enter image description here

What would you say in everyday life if you wanted to buy them?

We need to buy some ______.

  1. pen ink holders
  2. ink reservoirs
  3. pen shanks
  4. pen rods
  5. small tubes with ink?

According to howstuffworks.com, How Ballpoint Pens Work, it is called an ink resevoir:

The ball rotates freely and rolls out the ink as it is continuously fed from the ink reservoir (usually a narrow plastic tube filled with ink).

However, in a context where you need to buy more and you're at the store, I think that you should ask for pen refills. From Office Depot:

enter image description here

  • 4
    +1 for refills. You might also mention ink cartridges, which is the more common term for fountain pens as opposed to ball point pens. – verbose Mar 3 '17 at 9:58
  • "ink reservoir" is the functional name for it's purpose. Any container or cavity inside a pen that holds ink is the ink reservoir. In non-refillable pens, the reservoir is a cavity in the pen body. A replaceable tube of ink is typically called a "refill" when it includes the writing tip, or an ink "cartridge" if it contains only ink. – fixer1234 Mar 3 '17 at 22:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.