What is the correct formulation:

Prof. X research group at the University of Y


Prof. X research group of the University of X


migrated from english.stackexchange.com Mar 29 '17 at 10:50

This question came from our site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts.

  • Prof. X's research group at the University of X and Prof. X's research group of the University of Y are both correct. – vickyace Mar 28 '17 at 16:27
  • Which one is more common or does sound nicer? – Brandli Mar 28 '17 at 16:30
  • If it is merely at the university, it might simply be using the university as a venue (e.g. a visiting group). – Lawrence Mar 28 '17 at 16:30
  • Both of my suggestions mean different things. In the at example, the team is visiting whereas in the of example, they belong to the Y university. – vickyace Mar 28 '17 at 16:35
  • So if they belong to the Y university, they cannot be at the university? – Brandli Mar 28 '17 at 16:40

It depends on what you want to say!

  • The group at/*of the University of Nebraska has come up with a new formula to cure AIDS.

  1. "at" - the group has come to the university and did something extraordinary there but they are a group of or from another university or maybe just a group all by themselves.

  2. "of" - the group that belongs to the university, works for it, that is a part of the university did something extraordinary.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy