My teachers sometimes put this symbol in my homework. Does it have a name or term in English?

enter image description here

closed as off-topic by Glorfindel, M.A.R. ಠ_ಠ, Nathan Tuggy, user3169, shin Apr 22 '17 at 6:36

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question should include more details than have been provided here. Please edit to add the research you have done in your efforts to answer the question, or provide more context. See: Details, Please." – Glorfindel, M.A.R. ಠ_ಠ, shin
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    I (a native US English speaker) actually don't think I've ever seen this before. Are your teachers from an English-speaking country? It might just not be common here. – stangdon Apr 21 '17 at 12:47
  • 1
    Google Image search also doesn't return any valid result. Check the Checkmark with cross – Arulkumar Apr 21 '17 at 13:34
  • 1
    Do you know what your teachers mean by it? I have seen this sort of thing before (native British), but only when a teacher has changed their mind/realised they had marked something as correct when it wasn't/realised someone else's marking was wrong. As far as I know, it doesn't have a name. – SteveES Apr 21 '17 at 15:44
  • 1
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because, while it was asked in good faith, it does not in fact appear to have any standard meaning in English. – Nathan Tuggy Apr 21 '17 at 18:23
  • 1
    @SteveES: Also British (Scotland), and I've seen lecturers use it to show that the working was correct but the answer was wrong (since here, at least, you're awarded marks for correct working irrespective of the answer). Also, where a previous incorrect answer has been used with correct working and the error propagated. – LMS Apr 21 '17 at 19:27

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.