What is the word for discarded excess cuttings,plants,saplings? some time back I came across the word exclusively for it,and it is not garden waste or garbage.

  • 2
    Since cuttings can often refer to bits you intend to propagate new plants from, you might consider trimmings or clippings. – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Apr 23 '17 at 14:10
  • 2
    In the US we refer to it as yard waste. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Apr 23 '17 at 14:48
  • 2
    Perhaps "compost"? – user3169 Apr 23 '17 at 18:31
  • Or maybe plant debris? – Lucian Sava Apr 23 '17 at 20:12
  • I don't know about a noun, but a specific verb for it is to prune. – Michael Login Sep 6 '17 at 15:53

In many U.S. cities, material such as fallen leaves, extracted weeds, and pruned tree branches are all yard waste. In many places, such as Des Moines, Iowa, they are required to put their yard waste in bins.

Des Moines, Iowa Yard Waste Poster

In some cities, such as Seattle, they also put kitchen scraps in the yard waste bins, which in Seattle are often called compost bins.

The terms are a little loose, though. In Santa Monica, California, for instance, they put their food scraps and their yard debris into a Green Cart.

Picture of a "green organics cart"

| improve this answer | |

I can think of several words:

However with grass, hedges, and flowers, all little plants I'd use trimmings. With trees and saplings I'd use offcuts. Cuttings mostly refers to bits you intend to propagate new plants from.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.