You are the guy who we are trying to learn from.

is the ordinary sentence structure I make when I talk. But I know that the standard English is

You are the guy from whom we are trying to learn.

To be honest, the second one is a bit hard for me. I want to know, is the first acceptable, and could you give me some methods about how to make the standard attributive clause in which a verb-preposition combination exist?

  • 1
    The former is called a preposition stranding, it's perfectly fine, but some purists might dispute you for ending a sentence with a preposition. The latter is called pied-piping, usually preferable in academic writing. – user178049 Apr 25 '17 at 12:26
  • 3
    Preposition fronting (or pied-piping) is generally found in formal English. 'guy' is usually used in informal English. Maybe a more formal word or phrase instead of 'guy' would make your second sentence more likely: 'You are the world-renowned expert from whom we are trying to learn'. – Sydney Apr 25 '17 at 13:56

Is the first sentence acceptable in English?

Yes. But...

Unless you're trying to be overly formal or respectful, a more common way to express that would be something like:

You're the guy we're trying to learn from.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.