In one of my online English classes there's a lesson about the Victoria Falls which has the following sentences:

Today, visitors can land at the nearby airport and easily visit the falls. The adventurous can take a rafting ride down the rapid-filled gorges or bungee jump from the Victoria Bridge.

I did not find the word rapid-filled in both my dictionary and Google. Can anyone help explain?

  • I would leave out the hyphen. – user3169 Apr 27 '17 at 4:45
  • 2
    @user3169 - I would not leave out the hyphen. it isn't a gorge that is rapid and filled, it is a gorge that is filled with rapids. The hyphen indicates that the two words are to be considered as one adjective. – stangdon Apr 27 '17 at 15:31

I believe the rapid in rapid-filled refers to the following:

  • rapid

    1. Usually, rapids. a part of a river where the current runs very swiftly.
  • Rapids are sections of a river where the river bed has a relatively steep gradient, causing an increase in water velocity and turbulence.

    enter image description here

So the gorges are filled with rapids.


Rapids = quickly moving waterfalls

Filled = full of, plenty of

Rapids-filled = full of rapids

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.