My dad's really strong; when he closes something like a jar or a tap you can't get it open easy. My friend was trying to get a jar open but he couldn't. I cracked a joke then by saying, "I think my dad did it." It came to me what's a good word in English to describe turn and close.

My dad [turns and closes] jars and taps really hard. You can't get them open easy.

Is there a word to describe this? If not, what's a natural and fluent way to say this?


3 Answers 3


I don't think there's one word for it, but either twist ("to cause to move with a turning motion") or tighten ("to make tighter") carries some of the meaning.

If I had to say it, I think I would say something like, "He closes them really tightly."


How about seal ("fasten or close securely")?

I would say, "He seals them firmly."

  • 1
    Including a link to dictionary for why this works would be an improvement to this answer.
    – M.A.R.
    Apr 29, 2017 at 11:51

My dad really tightens things like jar lids and garden faucets. It's hard to get them to budge afterwards.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .