I was talking with a friend today, and he used a word that sounds like "yaky", where the "a" is pronounced the same way as the "a" in "father". Judging from the context, I think it describes something that he doesn't like. I tried to look for the word but could not find it. Could someone tell me what the word might be? Thanks!

Additional context:
It does not involve food. We were talking about math, and he describes the kind of analysis (a field of math) that he doesn't like as "yaky analysis".

  • It could be yucky, used to talk about food but not only food.
    – None
    Commented May 3, 2017 at 6:50
  • does it mean Yak-like?
    – JMP
    Commented May 3, 2017 at 6:57

1 Answer 1


My best guess is yucky.

adjective disgusting or unpleasant:
a yucky green colour

I asked about food because it is often used with food, like that cake was yucky! However, it's not strictly used with food, as in the entry above.

He might have been trying to be funny, as yucky is commonly used with and by children.

  • Ah yes! That should actually be a short "uh" sound... thanks! Commented May 3, 2017 at 6:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .