"U" is a Burmese equivalent of "Mr".

I am Mr. Thant.
I am U Thant.
I am Thant.

I'd like to know which is correct?

  • I don't know Burmese. But I think all are correct. It's a matter of taste, perhaps. – user178049 May 21 '17 at 14:55
  • Thanks, user178049. Burmese means Myanmar, a country in Southeast Asia. – thein lwin May 21 '17 at 15:05
  • 1
    I think what @user178049 means is that he doesn't know how to speak Burmese, but I'm sure he know what Burmese means. – Gerry May 21 '17 at 15:37
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this question is not about learning English. – user3169 May 21 '17 at 18:14
  • 2
    This question is about learning English, specifically about conventions for carrying a foreign term of address into English. It's a good question. – Ben Kovitz May 22 '17 at 6:06

I think you would say

My name is U Thant.
I am U Thant.

the U is an honorific title as in the former Secretary General of the UN

U Thant

but his name is

Pantanaw U Thant, in reference to his hometown, Pantanaw

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.