I read this sentence in one of my son's picture books:

"The tire was squashed, the tire was smooshed."

(It's talking about a bike).

The word "smoosh" is strange to me, so I consulted some dictionaries and it surprised me that I couldn't even find an entry for "smoosh".

What does it mean? How come it can't be found in dictionaries but can be found in a kid's book???

  • 2
    try smush instead
    – Jim
    Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 4:40
  • So it's an informal pronounciation of "smush", which means "crush" or "smash"? I guess it's a deliberately mistaken word to suggest it is used by kids?
    – dennylv
    Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 4:44
  • 2
    @dennylv: I don' think so. A simple google search gave the result. But not in some dictionaries i searched. Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 4:46
  • 2
    dennylv, it is strange. It is not used in the UK. Neither is smush, which was mentioned by Jim.
    – Tristan
    Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 12:38
  • 7
    It's not an informal pronunciation — it's a variant spelling; smush rhymes with bush, not brush, and smoosh is supposed to be pronounced with the vowel in book, which is the same vowel as in bush. Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 20:10

2 Answers 2


From Oxford:

Smoosh (v): squash, crush, or flatten.

‘use a sharp knife so as not to smoosh the broccoli’

  • Thank you. I am still curious why it's not available in mainstream dictionaries?
    – dennylv
    Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 4:52
  • 3
    Maybe because it is very informal. Anyways, you could find it here: Smoosh in the American Heritage Dictionary
    – learner
    Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 6:57
  • 2
    Wiktionary defines it as the alternative spelling of Smush. Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 7:17
  • 4
    It is indeed a rather hard word to locate in online dictionaries. For situations like this, I recommend OneLook.com, which is a website that searches for words in a host of online dictionaries. In the case of smoosh, that word is found in only 7 or 8 dictionaries (as opposed to say, smash, which is found in almost 30, plus over a dozen other specialized dictionaries as well).
    – J.R.
    Commented Nov 11, 2013 at 16:46
  • 3
    This entire answer is copied from oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/smoosh
    – user230
    Commented Nov 26, 2013 at 0:22

Although it is a bit informal word but you may find in almost all reputed dictionaries like oxford dictionaries or merriam webster

Its general meaning is to flatten or smash

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .