When assembling a camping tent, we sometimes have to put the tent poles through a kind of tunnel created using a strip of the same fabric of which the tent is made.

The Russian term for this channel (tunnel? pocket?) is kuliska (кулиска). I wonder what the English term is for this.

enter image description here

On the image, you can see a tent pole that creates the camping tent's frame (каркас). This tent pole emerges from a "kuliska" and then dives into another "kuliska".

Multitran offers several translations but I'm not sure they fit.

The same word is used in Russian for the channel in which we put a decorative band or a belt or string to support a piece of clothing:

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


It depends. If the "pocket" is closed at one end (for the end of the pole to fit into) then pocket or slot might be fine. If the fabric instead forms a tube that the pole is meant to slide through then we could call it a sleeve.

To set up the tent, slide the poles through the sleeves along the end of the tent, and set the ends of this frame firmly into the ground.

I don't think there is any special name for the "channel" through which we would run a piece of fabric or string (like that used to hold up a pair of sweatpants) but the string itself is called a drawstring.

Also, if the fabric through which the pole would go is very narrow, we would call it a loop rather than a sleeve, as in a "belt loop" for pants.

  • 1
    For the record - a drawstring runs through a casing. May 5, 2022 at 10:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .