There's this procedure in train companies that an instructor comes and rides along, next to the driver, checking that everything is done according to the rules. While doing that, he or she doesn't provide any additional instructions, doesn't assist the driver in any way, just observing. What is the proper word/phrase for that person and the job/activity?

  • The generic terms would be observer or evaluator. I can think of no more specific term that means "one whose job is to observe and evaluate trainees and report their findings". Individual organizations might give that person a particular title, but it would be a phrase, not a single word, for example "Trainees Evaluator" or "Trainees Observer", which is not to be confused with "Trainee Observer", which is a trainee who observes experts doing their jobs, as a learning experience.
    – TimR
    Commented Jun 5, 2017 at 12:00
  • You could also call them an assessor, examiner or inspector (although the term inspector can be used to mean ticket inspector, so could be confusing). I can't think of a train-specific term (although I have never worked in that field, there may be one).
    – SteveES
    Commented Jun 5, 2017 at 12:33

1 Answer 1


They are traditionally called Road Foremen.

However, you may very will find the exact Personnel title in a given operator, CSX/BNSF for example, to be different.

Also note, this may be a US specific term.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .