I am writing a formal documents for describe health status according to type of job. I want to compare office workers and blue collar worker (non office worker) but I am confused what is the formal word of "blue collar workers" for documents.

Could I just use blue collar workers or non office workers? or There were better words for me.

  • "Blue collar workers" is an acceptable term in most contexts. Jun 18, 2017 at 4:07
  • This depends on where you are and what kind of company. Different terms are likely in a corporation vs. a small company, for example. Without more specifics you will only get opinions that might be OK.
    – user3169
    Jun 18, 2017 at 5:14
  • Can you tell us more about the kind of formal document that you're writing? Is it a scientific journal paper, a questionnaire, a policy manual, a medical report, etc.?
    – Ben Kovitz
    Jun 18, 2017 at 5:38
  • Thank you for answer to my questions. My document is actually scientific journal for my degree. I want to compare mental/physical health status between office worker and blue collar worker.
    – Jay
    Jun 18, 2017 at 6:30
  • Blue collar and white collar is fine in the USA. It has little or no meaning in the UK though. Kind of like "black hat" and "white hat" means nothing to us Brits.
    – Majenko
    Jun 18, 2017 at 9:18

1 Answer 1


If you are writing a policy manual, workers are usually divided into groups which may be

full time staff
part time staff
line management
middle management
upper management
board members

Blue collar workers are usually staff and not management.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .