I want to find suitable words to describe a person who always jumps in the middle of a conversation and starts talking without considering or waiting for other people to finish their sentences.

Any suggestion?

  • 1
    Buttinsky is the classic term in USAian. Jun 25, 2017 at 23:23
  • Kibitzer is another possibility.
    – BobRodes
    Jun 25, 2017 at 23:28
  • 2
    @BobRodes Hmmm, in Yiddish not really. It's a person who offers unwelcome and unsolicited advice. Tells you Qd8-g5 while you're considering a move. Jun 25, 2017 at 23:33
  • @P.E.Dant Yes, true, and it's very common in the chess world as you say, probably because a lot of the best chess players in the US are New Yorkers and a lot of those are Jewish as well. But the sense of butting in is there as well. I'd say that neither of the terms have the sense of someone in a conversation who won't let his interlocutor finish what he's saying. They both imply third-party interference, don't they? I usually just call someone who does this an "interrupter." I don't think there's a nice, colorful word that exactly characterizes this particular sort of offender.
    – BobRodes
    Jun 25, 2017 at 23:37
  • p.s. I'd love to find one though.
    – BobRodes
    Jun 25, 2017 at 23:41

2 Answers 2


I can't think of any good words or idioms that include both someone who talks too much and someone who interrupts others, but if you are just talking about someone who talks too much, you could call them:

  • A loudmouth
    a person who talks a lot, especially in an offensive or stupid way

  • A gasbag
    a person who always talks too much

  • A blowhard
    an exceptionally boastful and talkative person.

Or describe them as:

If you are not worried about encompassing someone who talks too much, but are more interested in saying that they interrupt a lot, you could call them:

Although, this is not in common usage, and it can be used for "a device for interrupting an electric current usually automatically" (not that anyone would confuse it for that use in context).


If you're looking for verbs, then there are:

  • interrupt
    to stop someone from speaking by saying or doing something, or to cause an activity or event to stop briefly:
    [ I ] Please don’t interrupt until I’m finished.
    [ T ] The picnic was interrupted by a rain shower.

(Cambridge Dictionary)

The following are a number of related, casual verbs:

  • butt in
    to interrupt a conversation or discussion or someone who is talking:
    He kept on butting in with silly comments.
  • chime in
    to speak in a conversation, esp. by interrupting:
    Everyone at the table began to chime in with their opinions.
  • chip in
    mainly UK informal
    to interrupt a conversation in order to say something:
    I'll start and you can all chip in with your comments.
  • cut in
    to interrupt what someone is saying by saying something yourself:
    I was just talking to Jan, when Dave cut in (on us/our conversation).
  • horn in
    US informal
    to try to become involved in a discussion or activity when you are not wanted:
    She's always horning in on our conversations.

(Cambridge Dictionary)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .