I bought this book titled 2 Hari Taklukan Grammar, written by Edward Rahardian in Bahasa (Indonesian language) and mostly talk about gerund and infinitive. And these are some examples of the gerund sentences that I found.
- His mother suggested having lunch before we leave.
- I will try studying harder.
- The car needs washing.
- Your hair needs washing.
- My teacher disliked me coming late.
Somehow those words sound unnatural for me because I've never heard those in daily conversations. As a learner, I only get exposed with English by watching TV series and any other entertainment resources.
So in my thought, they sound more natural like this:
- His mother suggested to have lunch before we leave.
- I will try to study harder.
- The car needs to be washed.
- Your hair needs to be washed.
- My teacher disliked me to come late.
Are those sentences in the first group grammatically correct? And, is it normal for one to say them in normal/daily conversations?