I have a quick question for you. I've seen many people get their answers on this site so I hope you can help me. Is the following sentence correct?

"I lost my wallet when I visited Mexico."

Basically I don't know if I'm allowed to use 2 verbs conjugated like this in the same sentence. To avoid this I'd use "I lost my wallet when VISITING Mexico" but the question I mentioned earlier is still bugging me. What do you think?

  • It isn't clear what you think may be incorrect about the usage in the example sentence. Have you been taught that it is not permitted to use two verbs in the simple past in the same sentence? If you could add to your question a short explanation of what you think is wrong with the sentence, it would be easier to help you. – P. E. Dant Jun 30 '17 at 19:40
  • Can you use two finite past tense verbs in the same sentence in your native language? – green_ideas Jul 1 '17 at 1:42
  • It's fine. There's no real difference in meaning between the two. They are just different ways of saying the same thing. Note that you could also say "I lost my wallet while visiting Mexico". – BillJ Jul 1 '17 at 5:44

I'm not certain why you think it's wrong to have two (or more) past-tense verbs in the same sentence. How else you could construct simple compound sentences about things that happened in the past?


I left my home when I was fifteen.

She spilled her drink, then she dropped her phone.

I thought it was the butler who killed Lord Graves, but it was really the cook who did the deed.

"I lost my wallet when visiting Mexico" is fine, but it might be better to use while instead of when. "When visiting X" is more often used to refer to the general experience of going to a place, and not any specific instance when you were there:

When visiting San Diego, don't plan your trip in June as the weather is often cool and cloudy.

When visiting California, be sure not to bring any fresh fruit or vegetables as these may be confiscated at the border.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.