When my mother introduces my mother-in-law, she would say "This is ___". I know English hasn't many relationship terms, so is it just "This is my daughter-in-law's mum"?

  • Does your language have a term for it? And if so what is it? I don't know any such term in my own language, hence the curiosity. – Summer Jul 12 '17 at 15:16
  • 1
    Regardless of differences in "generations", they're all just in-laws. Anglophones don't care about "familial relationship terminology" as much as speakers of many other languages. – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Jul 12 '17 at 15:17
  • @JaneDoe1337, yes in Chinese. – jf328 Jul 12 '17 at 15:57
  • 1
    @JaneDoe1337 German has a term ("Gegenschwieger", literally "opposite in-law") too. – Stephie Jul 12 '17 at 20:05

English does not have such a word. Your mother would say: "This is Judy, my daughter's mother-in-law", or "This is Judy -- she's the mother of my son-in-law Bill."

There are terms in Yiddish and Hebrew, which might be used by older American Jews (such as my mother, who is in her 80s and the daughter of immigrants):

  • machatonister (for the mother-in-law of your child)
  • mechuten (for the father-in-law of your child)
  • machatonim (plural)

The "ch" is pronounced in the back of the throat, as in German. Unlike other Yiddish words, these have not been imported into English, and few Americans of any religious background would know them.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    +1 Gevalt, I haven't heard mechuten in 50 years! Far afield from English, but well remembered. – P. E. Dant Reinstate Monica Jul 13 '17 at 0:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.