It is a question of conversion or translation from Chinese into English.

Recently in China, there are many vocational institutions now which are sponsored by the government and offer higher or tertiary education to students who fail to get admitted into the traditional academic institutions (colleges or universities).

But they meet the same problem, that is, they have different versions for the same name in Chinese.

For example, there are such schools in the field of transport across China, with names in Chinese nearly the same, but with different translated names in English.

Guangxi Vocational and Technical College of Communications

Hebei Jiaotong Vocational and Technical College

Shanghai Communications Polytechnic

Zhejiang Institute of Communications

Shanxi Traffic Vocational and Technical College

Ningxia Polytechnic

Shaanxi College of Communication Technology**

Note: The above names in Chinese are the same, except the italic part indicating the place where this institute is located

So, which version is the most appropriate? Or is there other version?

  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is about translation inconsistencies, and not about learning English.
    – user3169
    Jul 17, 2017 at 5:34
  • @user3169 Learning a foreign language means translation plays an important role in the learning, otherwise how can you begin your learning when you do not know a syllable of that language? English is now a foreign language, not a mother tongue to me,OK? When you have time to find fault with the question, why not try to give your opinion but not say something that discourage a hard learner, thank you very much. Jul 17, 2017 at 8:04
  • The thing is, proper names are just that. The different names you listed were chosen by someone to reflect what education that school offers, using existing English language schools as examples (rather than by some kind of translation). The common words are technical, vocational and communications, but how to arrange them in a title has no right or wrong.
    – user3169
    Jul 17, 2017 at 15:36
  • You ask us to decide on a matter of style. This has nothing to do with learning the English language. Even more, it's hard to see the importance to Chinese people of the words used in the English-language translation of the name of a Chinese trade school! What difference can it make to them? Use the Chinese name! Jul 17, 2017 at 17:49
  • @P.E.Dant Sir, you cannot be more wrong in your answer. It is very important for people in China and elsewhere to have a proper name in English because now the globe is no more than a village. If English language were a dead language like Latin or a man-made language like Esparando, I would not trouble myself to ask native speakers of English in this forum.If you are such a native speaker, would you accept misuse of your mother tongue by non-natives? Jul 18, 2017 at 2:38

1 Answer 1


Zhejiang Institute of Communications

This sounds natural. And it could be "Zhejiang Institute of Communication Techniques" or "Zhejiang Institute of Communication Technology."

However, other names you mentioned are possible, too.

  • Please if you could give more reason, it would be much better Jul 18, 2017 at 4:15
  • It's simple. "Institute of XX" is a common way. Institute of physics, Institute of medicine..I think yours can mean "Institute of IT communication", too, if possible. We have many ways and alternatives. Jul 19, 2017 at 23:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .