The German language has the word "Kampfblatt" (rough translation: "militant paper"), which is pejorative for a (supposedly) politically militant publication, often a newspaper, but sometimes also a magazine. The word is mostly applied to publications seen by the user of the word as staunchly left- or right-wing.

What would be the best choice if I wanted to write something like

The left-/right-wing Kampfblatt Podunk Enquirer published today a ...

The common ENG-GER dictionaries don't have translations for the word.

  • 1
    We might call such a thing a "[left/right]-wing rag" in the vernacular. Jul 20, 2017 at 2:29
  • Thanks. I think this is better than what I've seen as suggestions in forums, like for example "activist newspaper", which without context can be misleading, I think. Jul 21, 2017 at 15:35
  • 1
    You can use "right wing rag" in full confidence that an English-speaking reader will take "rag" to mean exactly what a German-speaking reader takes from Kampfblatt. Jul 21, 2017 at 23:28

1 Answer 1


It really depends how militant you mean. Using a derogatory term like rag with a description of the politics, as suggested in the comments with "left/right-wing rag works if you aren't describing it as really militant. If you are, you might call it a "radical (left/right-wing) (rag/paper/magazine)", or to be even more extreme, actually use the word militant - it doesn't require it to actually be advocating military action or violence, but it is a very strong term.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .