Assuming this :

I was doing some work step by step, then I blocked at somewhere and I have tried all the solutions I could find, spent a lot of time, but the problem still can't be solved.

I want to use "I have some trouble in ..." or "I have a difficulty in..." to describe it, but I think they are not fit very well and a little casual. How do you people describe this situation in written English and Spoken English?

  • I have/I'm having (some) trouble/difficulty solving/trying to solve this problem, or maybe I'm having/I have a hard/difficult time solving/trying to solve this problem.
    – MorganFR
    Jul 21, 2017 at 12:50
  • 1
    The problem is insurmountable.
    – user3169
    Jul 21, 2017 at 15:33

1 Answer 1


If you really can't think of anything else to try, you can say any of the following:

I'm stuck!
I'm stumped.
I've reached a dead end.
I can't see a solution.
I can't see a way forward.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .