There is a verb "to uphold", which I think means "to support", "to sustain".

But I didn't find an instance where the verb "to downhold" would be used. Is it a non-existing word? There is a questionable entry for the noun, but I'm not sure it's being used either.

  • 1
    No it does not, but that's the kind of English idiosyncrasy that comedians love to exploit. For example, you can be "overwhelmed" and you can be "underwhelmed", but you can't just be "whelmed". – Andrew Jul 23 '17 at 13:52
  • 2
    In context it would probably be understood, but most native speakers (and almost all dictionaries) wouldn't consider it a "valid word". So I suggest you avoid it, and stick to hold down the same as everyone else. – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Jul 23 '17 at 13:52
  • 1
    @Andrew: Sure you can, it's just archaic. – Nathan Tuggy Jul 23 '17 at 14:13
  • @NathanTuggy well color me whelmed. :) – Andrew Jul 23 '17 at 14:30
  • 1
    The close vote here is entirely frivolous. – Andrew Jul 23 '17 at 16:50

The word "downhold" is not in widespread use. Note that it does not appear in several other dictionaries (Cambridge). It is evidently a recent coining.

Note also the ngrams graph

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.