In France, in local newspapers (mostly small town magazines), there is sometimes a section called "État civil" ("civil register"), where you can find the names of the people who married, have born and died in the town during the last month/week/semester.

How is this specific newspaper section called in English, supposing it's not just a french thing? I couldn't find anything certain by searching online dictionaries and Google.

Thanks in advance!

  • It's a thing in English speaking newspapers too, at least it was while newspapers were still relevant, especially at the local level. I believe the section was called Announcements, but I'll go google to confirm.
    – Dan Bron
    Jul 24, 2017 at 12:18
  • 3
    It is colloquially known as "Hatches, Matches and Dispatches"
    – Chenmunka
    Jul 24, 2017 at 13:00
  • In the US, something like "Legal and Public Notices", though it has been some time since l last read a print newspaper. But I think if you check a print newspaper's online edition you should find such a section.
    – user3169
    Jul 24, 2017 at 17:39

1 Answer 1


Per New York Times, Washington Post:

Marriages: "Wedding Announcements" (or "Marriage Announcements")
Deaths: "Obituaries"
Births: "Birth Announcements"

You must log in to answer this question.