In France, in local newspapers (mostly small town magazines), there is sometimes a section called "État civil" ("civil register"), where you can find the names of the people who married, have born and died in the town during the last month/week/semester.

How is this specific newspaper section called in English, supposing it's not just a french thing? I couldn't find anything certain by searching online dictionaries and Google.

Thanks in advance!

  • It's a thing in English speaking newspapers too, at least it was while newspapers were still relevant, especially at the local level. I believe the section was called Announcements, but I'll go google to confirm. – Dan Bron Jul 24 '17 at 12:18
  • 3
    It is colloquially known as "Hatches, Matches and Dispatches" – Chenmunka Jul 24 '17 at 13:00
  • In the US, something like "Legal and Public Notices", though it has been some time since l last read a print newspaper. But I think if you check a print newspaper's online edition you should find such a section. – user3169 Jul 24 '17 at 17:39

Per New York Times, Washington Post:

Marriages: "Wedding Announcements" (or "Marriage Announcements")
Deaths: "Obituaries"
Births: "Birth Announcements"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.