In the movie Monsters Inc. there is this conversation between Randall and Wazowski:

Randall: Sh sh sh! You hear that? It's the winds of change.
Wazowski: You hear that? It's the winds of ch... what a creep.
Wazowski: One of these days I am really gonna let you teach that guy a lesson.


The highlighted part is when Wazowski imitated Randall by using a funny voice. My question is: Is there a term for this kind of action?
I tried to find the answer myself but I don't even know what to search.


2 Answers 2


I think the word you are looking for is:

mimic : To copy or imitate so as to ridicule; mock

Wazowski was mimicking Randall.


As a native English speaker, the verb 'mock' comes to mind.

Wazowski was mocking Randall by mimicking him.

In this sentence, 'mocking' is the overall effect that Wazowski achieved through the act of 'mimicking' Randall.

Mimicking can be done for reasons other than mocking (though infrequent,) and mocking can be done through other means than mimicking.

I hope this helps.

  • The reason I answered with mimic is that OP asked about "imitating using a funny voice." If OP had asked about, "making fun of some one by imitating their voice" then, I agree, the answer would be mock.
    – Jim
    Commented Jan 16, 2014 at 2:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .