Is there a gender neutral third person pronoun in English? Say I wanted to tell someone to "forward the email to him/her". Is there a word to replace "him/her" if the gender is unknown? Perhaps "them"?

  • "Them " would be correct.
    – V.V.
    Aug 3 '17 at 14:22

There have been proposals for various gender-neutral pronouns put forward from time to time, but "they/them" has become the de facto standard gender-neutral pronoun. It can be used if the gender is unknown ("Each person should give their best"), if the gender wants to be kept undisclosed ("I have a meeting after work and I'm meeting them at the bar"), etc.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .