Writers make shortcuts in their writing and typography such as this sentence:

He watched my daughter being killed.

Some writers or most of them extract the word being out of sentence as a style of writing to be like:

He watched my daughter killed.

So what do you call these shortcuts in English grammar, and how could I recognize them?

  • @StoneyB but i amnot talking about "ellipsis" (...), but my question is why writer remove some words from the context such as "being", and what are they called when you remove the. Are they also shortcuts or has another grammatical meaning? – Stevan Slewa Aug 5 '17 at 17:16
  • 1
    @StevanSlewa See this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis_(linguistics) – userr2684291 Aug 5 '17 at 17:18
  • Am I the only one that sees a postpositive adjective instead of the ellipsis, in the second sentence? – Jakub Aug 5 '17 at 17:34
  • Some dialects do use a construction like "the car needs washed": see english.stackexchange.com/questions/5407/…. – Nate Eldredge Aug 5 '17 at 17:51
  • 3
    He watched my daughter killed is not grammatical: watch requires an infinitive or participial form of BE for passives. Do you mean He saw my daughter killed? – StoneyB Aug 5 '17 at 18:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.