Trying to translate a sports software I have a hard time finding a word or term for an attempt that does not (necessarily) count - As in: you have 3 attempts, but only the 2 better ones count towards the result/ ranking - the other one is scratched. How do you call that scratched attempt?

I tried translating the German word with google and bing - but the translations are sure not what I need... "Streichwert" -> "spreading worth" (google) is nonsense and "Stroke value" (bing) ... does not sound right either.

3 Answers 3


I don't believe a single word exists. The google and bing suggestions are garbage, and come from splitting the word into components and translating each one. The word is not found in common online German-English dictionaries.

You can used "discarded score" or (as you have already suggested) "disregarded score". If the system discards both the top and the bottom scores (as is done in diving competition) you can say "trimmed mean" for the average, ignoring the top and bottom results.

In context "discard" is enough (the fact it is a score being clear from context). To emulate the layout at http://www.reinickendorfermgc.de/Ergebnisse/TTL171.pdf

name       score
Team Rockets 11
Hans          4
Rolf          2   
Fritz         7
Discard       2

Similarly a rule set could state "The two lowest scores will be discarded", or "The final score is the sum of the top three attempts." thereby avoiding the need for a noun that means "discarded score".

Since this word isn't yet in German English dictionaries, I would guess it is a fairly modern coinage.

  • Dropped/Scratched/Discarded all sound good - how would you call the number of "discardable attempts" (before the competition)?
    – FrankB
    Commented Aug 8, 2017 at 6:08
  • edited to address this. Rather than saying "The number of discardable attempts is two", say "up to two attempts are discardable" or some paraphrase.
    – James K
    Commented Aug 8, 2017 at 8:04

The lowest score, the one that is streichwuerdig in your case, once it has been disregarded could be called the stricken score or the scratched score. But there's no one simple noun that refers to an uncounted item that has been ignored because only the two best scores are counted.


The other two answers have fine suggestions (discarded/stricken/scratched.) One other possibility is dropped.

  • Each jumper has three attempts. Rankings are based on the average of the best two attempts. In the case of a perfect tie, the dropped score is used as a tie-breaker.

  • "That guy dominated the whole field today. His dropped score was higher than anyone else's keepers."

This terminology is also very common in class syllabi

  • You will be able to drop your two lowest scores (a missed quiz is a zero). Save these dropped quizzes for emergencies. source: WSU Math 106 sylabus

If both the top and bottom are discarded, the average of the remaining scores is referred to as the modified mean or Olympic average.

  • Dropped/Scratched/Discarded all sound good - how would you call the number of "droppable attempts" (before the competition)?
    – FrankB
    Commented Aug 8, 2017 at 6:07
  • @FrankB I would call them "dropped _____s" (dropped scores, dropped throws, dropped grades, dropped runs etc.)
    – Adam
    Commented Aug 8, 2017 at 15:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .