I would like to know whether there is a word to describe a condition whereby a person cannot hear some or all words pertaining to songs when played and needs to be able to observe the text in order to follow the words along with the song being played.

This can happen to everyone to some extent, especially language learners, but I wanted to know whether there is a word for this condition in fully proficient people.


  • 3
    Can you demonstrate that this is a real condition. For example, is there a word for it in any other language?
    – James K
    Commented Aug 11, 2017 at 7:05
  • Maybe the Wernicke's aphasia will help? Or maybe Agnosia? Commented Aug 11, 2017 at 7:31

1 Answer 1


What you may be looking for is

agnosia - the inability to process sensory information.

This is mainly associated with the inability to process sounds, as in notes etc. so it doesn't necessarily refer to the lyrics of songs.

On the other hand, there also is a condition called

high frequency hearing loss.

This article is about it:


and I think that's what you're looking for as it covers the inability to correctly process words. High frequency hearing loss can affect some consonants: s,h,f or female voices.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .