When a CPU is running with performance exceeding its spec, it is said to be "overclocked". I'm looking for a word with a similar meaning that could be applied to general electrical appliances or power tools. The word overclocked sounds clumsy when applied to a hair drier or a toaster.

The word overpowered sounds right from the physical point of view, but that means "too powerful" by design (thanks @AricFowler) or "defeated" by something more powerful, rather than "running over the spec".

Then there's the word overdriven and overdrive. Can it be applied to things like a toaster? Or does it only work with appliances which have an actual drive?

  • 1
    Overpowered is more commonly used to describe something that is too powerful, or so powerful it dominates other things in the same group: "This electric drill is overpowered". If something is "being overpowered" or "has been overpowered" then it is defeated, as you said. – Aric Aug 21 '17 at 12:00
  • Could you explain how you might make a toaster "more powerful"? Or another related "power-up" electrical device? I realize yours is a language question, but I would like to understand the reality of such a situation. Maybe some other word could be apparent. – user3169 Aug 21 '17 at 18:09
  • @user3169 For example, one could increase the voltage to make the toaster produce more heat. – Dmitry Grigoryev Aug 22 '17 at 10:13
  • @DmitryGrigoryev You could, but that would be a dangerous, right (shock or fire hazard). It's different from a CPU that should have redundant protection. – user3169 Aug 22 '17 at 19:26
  • @user3169 Toasters also have thermal protection, without it they're already a fire hazard even at their nominal power. – Dmitry Grigoryev Aug 22 '17 at 19:35

I believe you could use the phrase "revved up" for speed and power but some people do use "overclocked" for whatever they want. You could also use "improved" and "enhanced". the word "boost" can also work in some contexts.

  • "boost" sounds nice, thanks. But what about "overdrive"? Does it have a connotation of rotary motion (like "revved up") or not? – Dmitry Grigoryev Aug 22 '17 at 13:01
  • You should add how these phrases could be "applied to general electrical appliances or power tools", since that is what the question asks. Just listing synonyms doesn't really do that. – user3169 Aug 22 '17 at 19:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.