Which usage is correct?

I want to personalize my webpage
I want to personalise my webpage
  • Question like this can be searched on any dictionary. 'ize' and 'ise' is just an American and British way of writing it. A lil' homework is needed before we ask anything on this big board.
    – Maulik V
    Commented Dec 5, 2013 at 7:36
  • Have you looked either personalize or personalise up in a dictionary? What did it say? If you're still confused after looking them both up and writing what you're still confused about, flag the question and I'll reopen it; but as it stands this question is off-topic for ELL.
    – Matt
    Commented Dec 5, 2013 at 10:53

1 Answer 1


Before I explain this, in answer to your question, the correct choice is the one for the country you're residing in (or where your readers are from). If you're in a Commonwealth country, then it's probably personalise, if you're in the US, it's personalize.

This is related to etymology. All of these words are of both French and Latin origin, with the US preferring Latin and the UK preferring French spellings.

It's just a difference in American and British English spellings.

They mean the same thing. There are several variants in English spelling.

For words that end in -ise in British English, they're spelled -ize in the US. This is not universal though (e.g. it's still exercise in both).

Words ending in -re end in BrE are spelled -er in BrE (e.g. litre (Br); liter (Am)).

There are words that end in -our--e.g. colour--in UK English, are spelled as -or--e.g., color--in American English.

There are very many more, but this is very broad. Those are the biggest differences.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .