I'm writing about the structure of a reaction vessel used in scientific labs. The vessel has a large container equipped with another component. This another component is used for taking a small amount of the content of the container. The content is a liquid mixture. The component is not a sampler; it is for transferring the small amount to the next step of reaction.

I need to name the component. The name should be a single phrase, something like "...ing component" or "...er" (like "dividing component""divider").

Does anybody have a good idea for this?? Thank you!

  • What sort of contents are in the container? Aug 24, 2017 at 23:55
  • Thank you for pointing out! I've edited the question according to your suggestion. Aug 25, 2017 at 0:04
  • The component could be 'pipetting' from the container. Aug 25, 2017 at 0:11
  • Thank you! I'm wondering if "pipeting" defines the shape of the component as a pipet-like one. The shape of the component is not mentioned, so I want to stay away from limiting the shape. Can I still use the word? Aug 25, 2017 at 0:26
  • After seeing smatterer's answer, I'd use aliquot, as it has less definition on the shape. Aug 25, 2017 at 0:48

1 Answer 1


Aliquoting device is probably the appropriate word for something that divides up the bulk material into smaller parts for further processing or analysis.

  • Thank you! I wanted to use "aliquoting", but I found a difinition like this: "dividing something into smaller portions with the same quantity". In my case, the action occurs only once and does not divide the content into small portions. Can I still use this word? Aug 25, 2017 at 0:21
  • Yes it can apply for a once-only device but in that case you can also use "sampler". Is there a reason for not wanting to use "sampler"? It seems to be the better word to me.
    – smatterer
    Aug 25, 2017 at 0:28
  • Yes, I have a reason. I've already used the noun "sample" to refer to a specimen. The noun "sample" appears many times in the same paragrah, so I'd like to use a different word for the verb to make a clear distinction. And, I can't simply change the noun "sample" to "specimen" because this document uses these two words to refer to different ideas. Aug 25, 2017 at 0:42
  • I'm thinking to use "aliquoting device". Is there any reference indicating that "aliquoting" can also be used for once-only cases? Aug 25, 2017 at 0:45
  • If you google “aliquoting device” you’ll get patents for a bunch of them. Aliquoting implies that the quantity taken is controlled but doesn’t imply anything about the number of lots taken. If it important to stress that this is a once-only aliquot, you will need to say that explicitly.
    – smatterer
    Aug 25, 2017 at 1:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .