When somebody is playing a piano they occasionaly increase or decrease the distance between their fingers so to reach farthest notes or closest ones. What are these two finger positions and actions called?

Clarification: when the fingers are very close to each other you can play notes that are byside each other. When the fingers are far from each other (depending on the hand) you can play notes that have a larger interval than a second.

Edit: I've noticed "gather" being used to get the fingers closer and "stretch" to get them further from each other. Would that be correct?

  • Spread (or stretch out), contract? Not sure – laugh salutes Monica C Aug 25 '17 at 19:18
  • @laugh Neither am I. That's why I am asking. – SovereignSun Aug 25 '17 at 19:21
  • 1
    Do you have terms for these actions and positions in your native language? – Tᴚoɯɐuo Aug 25 '17 at 19:33
  • 1
    Spread is the term that is used in sports. I don't think that there is a specific term for moving the fingers closer together: that's regarded as the 'normal' position for fingers. – JavaLatte Aug 25 '17 at 20:01
  • 1
    I believe the nouns are adduction and abduction. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Aug 25 '17 at 20:09

A practised piano player's fingers can easily span an octave - sometimes more.

  • Most players can span at least a minor tenth, maybe a major tenth. – Colin Fine Aug 25 '17 at 20:37
  • @ColinFine yes, but my answer was the usage of word span, not a comment on the player's ability. – Weather Vane Aug 25 '17 at 20:39

adduction - to adduct - To draw inward toward the median axis of the body or toward an adjacent part or limb.

abduction - to abduct - to draw or spread away (as a limb or the fingers) from a position near or parallel to the median axis of the body or from the axis of a limb

From Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 11th Ed.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.