0

I'd like to know which one of the following sentence is used more?

  • I suggest doing your homework.
  • I suggest that you do your homework.

Edit: Does one of these sounds more idiomatic than the other?

  • 1
    I think a better (more accurate) question would be: Does one of these sound more idiomatic than the other? If they both sound acceptable, would you really care if one was used 60% of the time, and the other 40% of the time? English is flexible and there is often more than one way to say essentially the same thing. – J.R. Aug 27 '17 at 18:33
  • @J.R. Thanks for the comment. Well, I'll gonna edit the question. – Ahmad Payan Aug 27 '17 at 19:06
1

It would depend on the context. To me

I suggest doing your homework.

Has more immediacy, as in

I suggest doing your homework, now!

and is equivalent to

I suggest you do your homework.

whereas

I suggest that you do your homework.

would have more the meaning of

It would be good idea to do your homework at some point.

  • 1
    It's interesting that you think the gerund noun form has more "immediacy". The construction I suggest [that] you [do something] can only mean that doing [whatever] is what I think you should do. But consider a context like "I wonder what could have caused my stomach ache", "I suggest eating those unripe apples", where the speaker certainly isn't recommending that as a good course of action! So arguably the gerund form is less "immediate", since it can refer to a past action rather than a "current" recommendation. – FumbleFingers Aug 27 '17 at 18:12
  • 1
    ...put another way, it seems to me I suggest [that] you XXX is effectively a watered down version of XXX as a blunt imperative (in this example, the instruction Do your homework!). An imperative seems more "immediate" to me than most constructions. – FumbleFingers Aug 27 '17 at 18:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.