I was wondering if there is any word or expression to refer documents characterized by technical jargon, such as clinical reports or patents.

I could use "technical reports" but, for example in the case of clinical reports might sound not appropriate. So, what term or expression might be more suitable?

  • 3
    What are you wanting to express? Do you want to say that the technical jargon is a good thing, or a bad thing? Appropriate, misused, or overused? What kind of sentence would you like to use this word in? I can think of a few different alternatives, but I’d need to know more about what you intend to say.
    – J.R.
    Commented Sep 6, 2017 at 11:13
  • I would express the document with technical jargon are particular, are different from other general purpose documents. So, I am looking for a word or expression which summarize this kind of particular document.
    – Gabrer
    Commented Sep 6, 2017 at 14:06

1 Answer 1


I think what you describe falls under the umbrella of technical writing, which Wikipedia defines as:

any written form of ... technical communication used in a variety of technical and occupational fields, such as computer hardware and software, engineering, chemistry, aeronautics, robotics, finance, medical, consumer electronics, and biotechnology.

Informally, you might also say that the clinical report is "not for the layperson." You'll see this phrase used every now and then in book reviews, such as these:

It’s wonderfully written with a lot of technical calculations that are not for the layperson...

In 1931, mathematician Alfred Korzybski presented a paper on mathematical semantics. It’s not for the layperson, however, it contains a gem.

Dr. Verkhonshansky and Dr. Siff have written an absolute masterpiece, but this one’s not for the layperson at all. If you are a science nerd, as I am, you will love the deep dive and complexity of the massive information presented...

The most comprehensive book to date was written by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young. This book however is not for the layperson (5.2 pounds of small type and very sciencey — full of chemistry and research).

  • Thank you for your answer! However, I have some doubts about the usage of "tecnhnical writing": do someone really refers to the difficulty of clinical reports by "technical writing"? I agree is correct, I am not sure is completely appropriate or common.
    – Gabrer
    Commented Sep 9, 2017 at 13:00
  • “technical writing” refers to many things. I wouldn’t expect people to refer to clinical reports as technical writing on a regular basis; however, as I say in my answer, I think they “fall under the umbrella.”
    – J.R.
    Commented Sep 9, 2017 at 23:06
  • Thank you! I accept your answer but I still look for some alternative formulation.
    – Gabrer
    Commented Sep 9, 2017 at 23:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .