Is there any word for sitting like this:

enter image description here

The geisha __ across from him at the tea table.

  • There is a word for sitting with your legs crossed, you say sitting cross-legged. However, the picture above is not someone sitting with their legs crossed!
    – Gamora
    Commented Nov 1, 2019 at 10:18

1 Answer 1


If you are asking whether there is a direct translation for the Japanese seiza (正座), there is not. The closest is "to kneel" but this is not exact, as this is considered kneeling as is this and this.

The geisha knelt across from him at the tea table.

You can also say "sat on (one's) heels" but it's not a very elegant phrase, and many people may not understand what you mean.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .