What do you call a very long line of the same character, which happens when the button is being continuously pressed? It may be accidentally or on purpose (for a visual effect). I've tried googling long chain of characters or stack key but neither is correct.

Bird with an open beak in front of a background filled with "A"s

  • With my computer science background I'd call it a long string of characters -- but otherwise I know of no common term for this. You do your best to describe what you mean and hope the listener understands.
    – Andrew
    Commented Sep 9, 2017 at 7:07
  • I think that would make a valid answer: long repeated string of characters
    – Ooker
    Commented Sep 9, 2017 at 7:12
  • It's an answer, but not the answer. My official answer is that there is no official answer :)
    – Andrew
    Commented Sep 9, 2017 at 7:19
  • 1
    I might be tempted to call it an Onomatopoeia, but it doesn't really fit. I would be surprised if this style doesn't have a name.
    – Polygnome
    Commented Sep 9, 2017 at 12:05
  • 1
    lengthening a vowel sound for visual or aural effect.
    – Lambie
    Commented Feb 16, 2018 at 18:30

3 Answers 3


Lengthening a vowel sound for aural or visual effect.

The explanation given in this blog is the right idea but poorly expressed because it is the vowel sounds only that make the word longer when spoken: I Can Lengthen My Words and So Can Youuuuuuu

Visually, it would be: repeating a single character repeatedly for visual effect.

The two ideas are not in the same space.

  • Also in the link: "elongated". What is the second idea you mention?
    – Ooker
    Commented Feb 17, 2018 at 2:05


I do this aaaaaalllll the time, usually with awesoooommmmeee! My friends now even say 'awesomie' verbally which is a bit wierd!

I'm borrowing 'concatenated' which is used in computing where strings of characters are glued together for various reasons into data strings.

Concatenate means 'to link things together in a chain or series'.

I'm saying that the repeated letters are joined together, like a chain.



loooooooooong chaiiiin of character ...

I second Andrew's statement: I guess there is no word for it. By the way, in German there is no word for it too.

Note: I am neither a native speaker nor an expert - I am just trying to help.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .