Is there a name for such words like "iceteroid" and "irmageddon"?

closed as off-topic by Chenmunka, Em., ColleenV Sep 11 '17 at 11:21

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question should include more details than have been provided here. Please edit to add the research you have done in your efforts to answer the question, or provide more context. See: Details, Please." – Chenmunka, Em., ColleenV
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


They are called a portmanteau words. They are formed by combining existing words that relate to one concept.

If the term becomes accepted as part of the English language, it is called a neologism.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.