Is there a word for the act of calling each student name in a classroom to know which students are present, and which ones are absent?

I used google translate and tried to translate it from other languages which gave me the word absenteeism which its English meaning shows that it's not what I'm looking for:

Absenteeism: the practice of regularly staying away from work or school without good reason.


1 Answer 1


In the US at least it is called roll call: "the act or an instance of calling off a list of names (as for checking attendance)".

It's also sometimes called taking attendance.

  • 3
    The first phrase that came to my mind was "taking roll". "Taking attendance" is also good. "Roll call" has this meaning, as well as several other shades of meaning. Commented Sep 29, 2017 at 15:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .