And are the suffixes "junior" and "senior" added in the names on passports? And also on identity cards? Or is it just informal and only said aloud?

  • Passports for what country? I'm not sure this is an English question. It seems like more of a Travel question. – Catija Oct 3 '17 at 20:36
  • Like if Jack Watson Junior is American or English and if he has a passport. It's absolutely not about travelling because I just want to know what name is written on the passport : if the "Junior" is added, or if it's just said informally. – Louisa Bella Oct 3 '17 at 20:45
  • 1
    But it being written on the passport isn't an English language issue. – Catija Oct 3 '17 at 20:48
  • 1
    @Catija - The question is asking about all ID cards, not just passports, so I suppose it could be considered a legitimate "western English-speaking culture" question. – J.R. Oct 3 '17 at 21:26

"Senior", "Junior", and similar identifiers are formal parts of a person's name in any English-speaking country.

Most English-speaking countries don't have identity cards. As for the passport, that would be at the discretion of that country's passport agency, but my guess would be typically yes.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Can you provide a source for this? My impression is that Jr. or Sr. are distinctly not part of the name - i.e. Jack Smith Junior is the second person named "Jack Smith", but his last name is not "Junior"! – stangdon Oct 3 '17 at 21:19
  • @stangdon - I suppose it's possible for Jack Smith, Jr.'s parents to make the "Junior" part of his last name (by putting Jack Smith, Jr. on the birth certificate). "Senior", however, would be a different story! – J.R. Oct 3 '17 at 21:22
  • 2
    @stangdon -- Many official forms have the suffix, as it is called, as part of the requested information. In the US, at least, there is no legal definition of what constitutes a name; the US government has no central naming authority. – Malvolio Oct 3 '17 at 21:26
  • "Sr." and "Jr." are almost unknown in the UK, so I have no idea whether or not they are "formal parts of a person's name"> – Colin Fine Oct 3 '17 at 22:02
  • @Malvolio - Agreed, but then maybe the wording "formal parts of a person's name" is not quite correct. I've also seen it on forms and such, but I don't think it goes on drivers' licenses, passports, etc. – stangdon Oct 3 '17 at 22:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.