I am currently writing the experimental section for a thesis in chemistry. Someone, who did the reaction I want to describe, wrote: "the gas was bubbled into the reaction mixture at such a rate that almost no excess gas was detected." However, to me, the wording rather seems like lab slang.

The following is a list of what I found

  • the gas was passed into the solution (Link) I have never heard anyone say this and I don't really like it, but if this is right, I will have to accept it.
  • the gas was introduced to/into (which?) the solution
  • the gas was injected into the solution

For a better understanding of what I am aiming for: The gas was added so slowly, that the bubbles hardly ever reached the surface before being absorbed/dissolved. So the pressure was quite low.

So, what would best describe the slow addition of a gas to a solution?


Gas can be introduced into a liquid or into a container of some kind.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.