If a person comes to some special place and stays there to rest for a while and does so often, several times a day, what appropriate word can I use for such multiple stays?

This place can be a cantina or a bar for instance, or even a club.

Visits isn't what I am looking for.

  • What's wrong with stays? It's the most common choice. google.com/… – Tᴚoɯɐuo Oct 23 '17 at 17:45
  • @Tᴚoɯɐuo Really? I thought it wasn't that popular. – SovereignSun Oct 23 '17 at 17:47
  • Do you mean a lodging rented for some daytime hours? Or like some place where you take a break from jogging or driving? For driving, "rest area" or "rest stop" are commonly used. – user3169 Oct 23 '17 at 18:01
  • @user3169 For daytime hours. – SovereignSun Oct 23 '17 at 18:03
  • But where? Somewhere isn't enough. – user3169 Oct 23 '17 at 18:03

The word you probably want is "frequents".

If you want to say they are a paying customer, maybe you could use "patronize".

Unlike stays, both of these are intransitive verbs so they need a direct object. eg:

"She patronizes the local bar but he prefers to frequent the club."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.