"She pinched my face. That hurt."

"She grabbed my face. That hurt"

What word is more suitable for the action illustrated in the image below?

enter image description here

  • Not what the picture shows, but for comparison you might get away with "she grabbed my cheek" if she then dragged you to the corner by the cheek. Grab implies seizing or taking control of something.
    – Davo
    Nov 2, 2017 at 20:15

2 Answers 2


I'd call that a pinch. You can be more specific and say "she pinched his cheek", which means exactly what's shown in the picture.


For me, at least, 'she pinched my face' means she grabbed a part of the face, whereas 'she grabbed my face' implies that the entirety of the face was grabbed. While grabbing the entirety of someone's face is possible, it's not the action being depicted above. That's definitely a pinch!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .