As part of my assignment I need to describe details of Thomas Kinkade's artwork Silent Night. I can't find how is the left part of the cabin called (part where you can see Christmas Tree).

I have several options:

  • patio
  • balcony
  • deck
  • verandah
  • porch
  • loggia (as for me, it seems like most appropriate)

but I'm not sure that at least one of them has suitable meaning.

What is appropriate word for this?

  • I personally would go with balcony. Deck would be the least likely choice for me, for it must have no roof. But architectural structure is not my domain. :) Dec 19 '13 at 16:33
  • 3
    Why do you believe "loggia" fits the best? To me, it's the farthest off: a loggia must have columns and arches, otherwise it's just a porch.
    – Martha
    Dec 19 '13 at 17:16
  • @Martha actually, that was just an assumption. Dec 21 '13 at 6:51

All of the terms listed in the question refer either to architectural features which are partly or wholly outdoors.

The area of the cabin in the picture, with the Christmas tree inside it, is part of a room, and is entirely inside the cabin.

So a couple of suggestions:

Bay window:

A bay window is a window space projecting outward from the main walls of a building and forming a bay in a room.

Sunroom or solarium:

A sunroom, sun parlor, sun porch, or sun lounge is a structure usually constructed onto the side of a house which allows enjoyment of the surrounding landscape while being sheltered from adverse weather conditions such as rain and wind.

  • 2
    I'd go with "sunroom" I think, but another option is "enclosed porch". That's something of an oxymoron, as a porch is normally understood to be open, but it's a term in fairly common use.
    – Jay
    Dec 19 '13 at 18:23
  • 1
    In many parts of the US, a porch can be enclosed. Typically they're initially built open to the elements, then enclosed with screens or windows, but the owners/users continue to call the enclosed space a porch.
    – The Photon
    Dec 19 '13 at 18:47
  • 3
    +1 I'd go with "sunroom" here. @ThePhoton is quite right about enclosed porches, but this lit space in the painting looks to me more like an extension of the room than a porch, which even when enclosed communicates with the interior by a door. Dec 20 '13 at 0:17
  • 3
    @ThePhoton Yes, it's not genuinely "rustic". My objection to porch is my feeling (which is perhaps too nicely etymological) that a porch must be a structure around a door. Dec 20 '13 at 0:36
  • 2
    @TRiG - Funny; I'd say it looks too big to be a bay window, so I'd call it a sunroom. (When I hear "bay window," I imagine something more like this, which is clearly much smaller than the room in the Kinkade picture. On the other hand, you could put up a Christmas tree in this sunroom.)
    – J.R.
    Dec 20 '13 at 8:49

The structure I see looks exactly like my sunroom, (or solarium): a room fitted with extensive areas of glass to admit sunlight.

enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .