I would like some help with my english. I wish to write in correct english the following:

Say I am building a machine that delivers something, and it delivers it in sealed packages. Sometimes the packages have something printed on it. And sometimes it does not.

How can I name these packages? or the process? For the one without printing I would say "printless package" but I don't know for the other case. And I am even thinking that that does not sound correct.

  • Do you have more information about what is being printed? The answers below are good, but another option could be addressed, unaddressed, if the machine were printing address labels.
    – mathewb
    Nov 6 '17 at 15:08
  • Basically what is being printed is content (of the package) and way of use (dosage etc) Nov 7 '17 at 0:58
  • @KansaiRobot that can be called a label. See, for example: nhs.uk/chq/pages/2607.aspx?categoryid=73&subcategoryid=109
    – muru
    Nov 7 '17 at 14:23

Assuming the printed information is a label of some sort, you can say that the packages with printed information are labelled packages, and the others are unlabelled packages.

From Merriam-Webster:


3. a: a slip (as of paper or cloth) inscribed and affixed to something for identification or description

The name is prominently displayed on the label.

   b: written or printed matter accompanying an article to furnish identification or other information

Read the warning label before taking any medicine.

The process can be called labelling.

  • 1
    I would point out that the spelling muru uses, "labelled", is normal in British English. I believe American usage prefers "labeled".
    – Colin Fine
    Nov 6 '17 at 10:29

Another possibility would be marked and unmarked packages.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.