Because I study Maths in another language, I don't know what do you call a "branched-function" in English. This is an example for what I'm talking about:

enter image description here

as you can see, the function f(x) is not like common functions like enter image description here. What do you call these functions in English?

  • 3
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is about technical terminology in a purely technical context. It would be best asked on Mathematics. Dec 20, 2013 at 20:33

2 Answers 2


It's called a piecewise function - see Wikipedia, MathWorld, etc.

  • 2
    Actually, properly speaking, it's the definition that's piecewise, not the function. Dec 20, 2013 at 20:34

The definition of the function with multiple cases (each for a particular point or interval) is a piecewise function definition.

The function is discontinuous at $0$ (both left-discontinuous and right-discontinuous, since it has no limit when $x \rightarrow^+ 0$ nor when $x \rightarrow^- 0$).

  • Yes, it's a function without a limit. The example is from this part of the article.
    – Cyclone
    Dec 20, 2013 at 20:43
  • 1
    looks like this site, unlike Mathematics.SE, doesn't support MathJax.
    – Cyclone
    Dec 20, 2013 at 20:52
  • @Theta30 I wasn't sure which concept almousawi was asking about, so I mentioned both. I've fixed the typo, thanks. Dec 20, 2013 at 22:05

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .