This question already has an answer here:

If someone keeps entering and exiting my bedroom, and I want him to stop. Should I say:

  • don’t come in and out of my bedroom.


  • don’t go in and out of my bedroom.

Is this just a case of directional difference between the verbs ‘come’ and ‘go’, or is it that only one of them fits as part of an idiomatic construction?

Also, apart from ‘in and out’, are there any other expressions/phrases that can express the same idea succinctly?

marked as duplicate by FumbleFingers, Lamplighter, StoneyB, Nathan Tuggy, Varun Nair Nov 14 '17 at 4:56

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


I think both are fine - if you are saying this to him inside your bedroom, it's come, if you're outside, it's more likely to be go. That said, if you are generally in there when he comes in, you might also use 'come' even if you're discussing it outside...

I may be missing the point here but given that you can only exit once you have entered I'd go for 'please keep out of my bedroom'.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.