Imagine this situation. You have a machine that is going to do some packaging The output of this processes are packages How do you call the "raw material" that you use for packaging?

Now, I can see that this can be very ample, for example if there are already plastic packages ready to be filled and sealed, I would call those "packages" too, but what if the raw materials before packaging are not already formed packages but a large piece of plastic (that somehow the machine folds and seals forming a fully formed "package")

In the original documents (in other language) they are called "packaging paper" but I am not sure what a native english speaker would call it.


Interestingly enough, the materials used to package things, are also collectively called packaging.

packaging: the materials in which objects are wrapped before being (shipped or) sold

You can be more precise and talk specifically about different components involved in the packaging process:

boxing, packing, wrapping, crating, taping, strapping, sealing, labeling, etc.

which use, respectively,

boxes, packing (material), wrapping (material), crates, tape, straps (or strapping), sealant, labels, etc.

Unless the packaging is actually made of paper I would not call it "packaging paper". If it is soft and transparent I would call it "plastic wrap", but it sounds more like a custom, form-fitted, plastic container.

This can have many different names, but the most common terms are shrink wrap, blister pack, and clamshell pack.

  • Thanks. Depending on the settings sometimes it is paper and sometime transparent plastic, (the procedure is the same) so how about "package wrap"? Nov 16 '17 at 4:13
  • 1
    @KansaiRobot the generic "wrap" or "wrapping" covers paper and plastic.
    – Andrew
    Nov 16 '17 at 4:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.